The trend to transform bathrooms into a place of escape, recharge and relaxation has penetrated the home improvement market. As a functional lighting source with unparalleled versatility, the traditional bath and vanity fixture isn’t disappearing any time soon; However, there are new ways trending in home fashion to beautifully illuminate your bathroom.
For the designer and homeowner wishing to breathe some unexpected creativity into your home’s design, here are 5 unexpected solutions to bathroom lighting that you probably hadn’t thought of…
1. Unexpected elegance.
Add a statement chandelier crowned with shades and adorned with glass beads for a glamorous solution that adds to your bathroom’s luxurious design. Image featuring our Nissé collection.
2. Unexpected pairings.
For spaces with high ceilings, bring the light down to your level with pendant lighting. If you’re loving more than one design, the good news is, you don’t have to choose just one! Combine your favorite designs for an unexpected – and beautiful – lighting solution at the sink. Image featuring our glass pendants, Kiss and Modera collections.
3. Unexpected relaxation.
Place a chandelier above the tub for the perfect atmosphere for a soothing soak. An elegant chandelier creates a space to unwind after a long and stressful day. Pair with some candles and sconces for the ultimate retreat. Project completed by Mary DeWalt Design Group – featuring our Nissé collection.
4. Unexpected boldness.
Large-scale lighting fixtures are trending in home fashion. Position a large pendant above a sink area for functional task lighting that makes an undeniable statement. Image featuring our Markor collection.
5. Unexpected functionality.
Recessed lighting fixtures contribute to a warm and inviting setting in your layered lighting design. A trend toward energy efficient sources – fit for the shower – is big for 2014. Wet-located options by Progress Lighting, available with LED sources, bring maximum value to homeowners through a combination of efficiency, aesthetics and functionality.
What are some other unexpected ways to illuminate your bathroom setting?
This weekend, we were excited to participate in a fun Sporting Clays event hosted by Cardel Homes in sunny Tampa, Florida. Our very own Lance Smith and Robert Chiles got to experience the action first hand. Enjoy images from the event!
Cardel Homes Designer Kelly Scott getting set up for the big event!
Let the shooting begin!
Lance and Robert enjoying some breathtaking views on the course.
Shooters received expert advice and shooting tips along the way.
Kelly Scott takes her turn. Right on target!
At Progress Lighting we offer a diverse range of styles and designs to cater to your personal home decor tastes. To do this effectively, we divide our fixtures into Lifestyle classifications, allowing you to easily create your very own lighting assortment that fits the environment you have created in your home.
For the homeowner that adores elegance and keepsake styling, there’s our Grace palette – featuring crystal, lustrous fabrics and hand-carved ornamental patterns.
If there is a space in the home that craves livable luxury – it’s the dining room. This is a special area of the home to wine and dine your guests. Here are four ways to create an elegant atmosphere with lighting in your dining setting.
1. Crown your fixtures with shades. Shades are a simple addition that breathe elegance into a dining setting.
The Roxbury collection features graceful fluted arms in a Classic Silver finish that emanate from a central column of fluted crystal. This fixture is ideal for formal dining settings, as seen above.
2. Select fixtures adorned with jewels and crystals. Lighting fixtures that sparkle really make lighting the jewelry of your home.
The Palais collection reflects happiness through its opulent, octagonal jewels and luxurious accents. An Imperial Gold finish highlights drops of cut glass with silk dupioni shades.
3. Complement your chandelier with wall sconces. The dining area can be made more sophisticated by adding coordinating wall sconces on the outer areas of the room, giving this space a unified look that enhances those special moments.
Antiqued ivory candles, off white Ireland fabric shades with braided trim and faux rock crystals define the Veranda collection.
4. Select a finish that fits the mood of your dining room. The finish of the fixtures you choose helps further the design goals of your dining room. A hand-painted finish with gold accents is one way to incorporate a warm and inviting feel into your elegant setting.
Clear seeded glass and an airy frame allow Fiorentino to create a dignified, yet unassuming presence. A hand-painted Forged Bronze finish blends brown and black tones, and faint golden highlights beautifully accent each etched detail – from columns and banding to stylized leaves and tassels.
Recessed lighting plays a key role in the functionality and design of your living space. From number of fixtures to positioning and placement, design your room for beautiful illumination with recessed lighting.
If you’re considering installing recessed lighting, here are some quick tips to follow:
- Avoid placing recessed lighting fixtures close together or in rows down the center of the room. This type of installation can create an unwanted commercialized effect, rather than a warm and inviting atmosphere.
- Consider the size of your recessed fixtures to determine appropriate spacing. A common rule is that 4-inch fixtures should generally be placed at least 4 feet apart and 6-inch fixtures about 6 feet apart.
- Center recessed lighting fixtures in front of objects you would like to light. This could include a painting, bookshelf, or drapery panels. Generally speaking, 12 to 18 inches in front of that object is ideal.
- Consider lighting statement pieces from different angles. These objects can include a fireplace, sculpture, or flower arrangement.
- Use wall-washing recessed lighting fixtures around the perimeter of a small room to help “push” the walls out and make the space feel larger.
- The basic sizes of recessed fixtures are 4-, 5-, or 6-inches in diameter. Use 6-inch fixtures for tall entryways or two-story hallways, and the smaller 4-inch sizes for smaller spaces since they have a sleeker, contemporary look with minimal intrusion.
As always, we recommend a layered lighting approach when lighting your space. Consider pairing recessed fixtures with other sources like pendants, chandeliers and sconces to account for general, ambient and task illumination.
A popular trend we are seeing in today’s residential spaces – for both indoor and outdoor applications – is the use of over-sized lighting fixtures. These statement additions provide both beautiful and functional illumination, while also serving as a bold focal point in interior and exterior settings. These fixtures come in a variety of styles – from those that exude traditional sophistication to others that boast modern audacity.
A large lantern placed above a kitchen island or dining area invites guests in and unites your decor with a decisive visual interest piece. Featuring our Crestwood collection.
Group large fixtures above dining areas to create a warm and bright atmosphere. Featuring our Equinox collection. Project completed by Mary DeWalt Design Group.
A large shaded fixture unites minimalist design and vintage, modern styling. Featuring the Progress Lighting Markor collection.
For open floor plans, decorative lanterns can be grouped above work areas. Featuring our Bay Court collection. Project completed by Mary DeWalt Design Group.
Homes with a large facade look best with over-sized decorative outdoor fixtures. Featuring Progress Lighting Resort collection.
A spa-like bathroom, modern dining setting and elegant chandelier – here are the Top Pins of the Week! Be sure to follow us on Pinterest for daily design inspiration, lighting tips, new products – and more.
The remarkable Cantata collection combines rustic elements with a modern design, and is a favorite among our Pinterest followers.
Dimmable recessed fixtures set the mood in this spa-like bathroom setting.
Our Bay Court pendants and Equinox chandelier create bold focal points in this Toll Brothers home.
Our followers love the soft accents and relaxing feel that our Caress collection brings to interior settings.
When it comes to decorating or remodeling your home, it’s important to consider ways to carry your design theme from room to room. By choosing a lighting collection with depth – meaning it is available in a variety of fixture types and sizes for different areas – it’s easy to communicate your style and create a cohesive look throughout your home.
For example, our Nissé collection is available in chandeliers, sconces, pendants, and bath and vanity fixtures – making it simple to coordinate finishes and styles from room to room.
See how Nissé creates a beautiful focal point and accent piece in different rooms to tie this home’s design scheme together.
Among our most-loved collections, Nissé features a striking blend of vintage elegance and bold silhouettes that breathes elegance into any interior setting. *Project completed by Mary DeWalt Design Group
Nissé pendants are easily grouped above a kitchen island or work area.
The Nissé chandelier brings the collection's glamour to a relaxing bathroom setting. *Project completed by Mary DeWalt Design Group.
Adding Nissé wall brackets to gathering areas completes the home's lighting design.
With advancements in lighting technology, it’s simple to reduce energy costs and consumption in your home. Easily improve your home’s eco-friendliness with these five steps:
- Replace incandescent bulbs with compact fluorescent lights (CFLs). The newest CFLs have improved color quality, that gives off a warm, inviting glow.
Progress Lighting's Savannah collection features antique alabaster glass that beautifully conceals and diffuses energy-efficient CFL bulbs for a beautiful fixture.
- For your outdoor lighting fixtures, choose LED options or use CFLs. Progress Lighting offers a variety of LED landscape lighting options and has a number of LED decorative fixtures slated for June 2014.
- Consider Energy Star-qualified fixtures and bulbs. This means they are certified by the U.S. Department of Energy as energy efficient. Progress Lighting offers many Energy Star rated options to match your decor.
- Retrofit recessed lighting with LED fixtures. It’s easy to replace recessed fixtures with super energy-efficient LED versions. Although the initial cost of LEDs is higher, the ROI in energy savings is worth the switch.
- Replace undercabinet lighting. LED strips and pucks are easy to install and give off less heat than incandescent.
Source: American Lighting Association, ENERGY WISE: Boost Your Eco-friendliness with a Few Easy Steps
Lighting greatly affects the design, atmosphere and functionality of your bathroom setting. It’s important to consider a layered lighting approach that complements the look and feel of the rest of your home for a bright start to your day.
Progress Lighting offers a variety of fixtures – ideal for a dreamy bathroom setting – that cater to your unique interior style. Lighting not only adds a beautiful decorative element, but ensures proper illumination to complete everyday grooming tasks like putting on make-up or shaving.
Consider the following guidelines from our lighting design experts when planning your bathroom remodel:
- Size matters: It’s important to assess the size of light needed for your space. Your bath bar should never exceed the width of the vanity cabinet. Progress Lighting offers one to four light vanity options in a variety of sizes, styles and finishes.
Featuring Progress Lighting Bratenahl collection
Engage by Progress Lighting features a circular design for one through four light vanities.
- Eliminate shadows: The key to lighting your bathroom is to provide shadow-free lighting at the mirror. In addition to an overhead vanity light, add side sconces or a companion close-to-ceiling to reduce shadows on the side of the face.
Featuring Progress Lighting's Victorian collection
Set the mood: Using fixtures with light shades can contribute to a relaxing, soothing atmosphere. Whether a large pendant, chandelier or wall sconces, decorative shades add versatility and elegance.
Featuring Progress Lighting's Chanelle collection
Just act natural: Consider the amount of natural light your bathroom receives when designing your layered lighting approach. Bathroom settings with large windows over a tub or skylight may not need as many layers of illumination to achieve the desired effect.
Featuring Progress Lighting's Lahara collection
Click here to view Progress Lighting’s diverse selection of bath and vanity fixtures.
Outdoor lighting enhances the beauty of your property while providing safety and security. Outdoor lighting also allows you to take advantage of your outdoor spaces after dark and adds value to your home.
Featuring Progress Lighting's Prestwick collection
Here are some tips and techniques courtesy of the American Lighting Association on how to get your outdoor lighting right.
- Front entrance lighting: Greet and identify visitors with a well-lit entrance. Wall lanterns on either of the door gives your home a welcoming look, as well as added safety. If your home has an overhang, consider a recessed, chain-hung or close to ceiling fixture.
Featuring Progress Lighting's Ashmore collection
- Garage exterior lighting: For added safety and security, consider adding mounted fixtures on either side of the garage. If there are shadowed areas on the sides of your house, spotlights and ground lights provide beautiful accent lighting.
Featuring Progress Lighting's Prestwick collection
Landscape up-wall lighting from Progress Lighting
- Illuminate steps, paths and driveways: Make sure guests and family members can move in and out of your house easily and safely after dark. Path lights or post lanterns are functional lighting additions.
Featuring Progress Lighting's Mission path light
- Deck, porch and patio lighting: Consider adding low-voltage mini-light under steps, railing and benches to invite guests in to your outdoor space. A spotlight in the branches of a nearby tree can add a romantic touch, as well.
Featuring Progress Lighting's Outdoor Metallic Cylinder lighting
Explore Progress Lighting’s wide selection of outdoor lighting to efficiently, safely and beautifully illuminate your home’s exterior.
Source: American Lighting Association, Outdoor Lighting