A spa-like bathroom, modern dining setting and elegant chandelier – here are the Top Pins of the Week! Be sure to follow us on Pinterest for daily design inspiration, lighting tips, new products – and more.
When it comes to decorating or remodeling your home, it’s important to consider ways to carry your design theme from room to room. By choosing a lighting collection with depth – meaning it is available in a variety of fixture types and sizes for different areas – it’s easy to communicate your style and create a cohesive look throughout your home.
For example, our Nissé collection is available in chandeliers, sconces, pendants, and bath and vanity fixtures – making it simple to coordinate finishes and styles from room to room.
See how Nissé creates a beautiful focal point and accent piece in different rooms to tie this home’s design scheme together.
With advancements in lighting technology, it’s simple to reduce energy costs and consumption in your home. Easily improve your home’s eco-friendliness with these five steps:
- Replace incandescent bulbs with compact fluorescent lights (CFLs). The newest CFLs have improved color quality, that gives off a warm, inviting glow.
- For your outdoor lighting fixtures, choose LED options or use CFLs. Progress Lighting offers a variety of LED landscape lighting options and has a number of LED decorative fixtures slated for June 2014.
- Consider Energy Star-qualified fixtures and bulbs. This means they are certified by the U.S. Department of Energy as energy efficient. Progress Lighting offers many Energy Star rated options to match your decor.
- Retrofit recessed lighting with LED fixtures. It’s easy to replace recessed fixtures with super energy-efficient LED versions. Although the initial cost of LEDs is higher, the ROI in energy savings is worth the switch.
- Replace undercabinet lighting. LED strips and pucks are easy to install and give off less heat than incandescent.
Source: American Lighting Association, ENERGY WISE: Boost Your Eco-friendliness with a Few Easy Steps
Lighting greatly affects the design, atmosphere and functionality of your bathroom setting. It’s important to consider a layered lighting approach that complements the look and feel of the rest of your home for a bright start to your day.
Progress Lighting offers a variety of fixtures – ideal for a dreamy bathroom setting – that cater to your unique interior style. Lighting not only adds a beautiful decorative element, but ensures proper illumination to complete everyday grooming tasks like putting on make-up or shaving.
Consider the following guidelines from our lighting design experts when planning your bathroom remodel:
- Size matters: It’s important to assess the size of light needed for your space. Your bath bar should never exceed the width of the vanity cabinet. Progress Lighting offers one to four light vanity options in a variety of sizes, styles and finishes.
- Eliminate shadows: The key to lighting your bathroom is to provide shadow-free lighting at the mirror. In addition to an overhead vanity light, add side sconces or a companion close-to-ceiling to reduce shadows on the side of the face.
Set the mood: Using fixtures with light shades can contribute to a relaxing, soothing atmosphere. Whether a large pendant, chandelier or wall sconces, decorative shades add versatility and elegance.
Just act natural: Consider the amount of natural light your bathroom receives when designing your layered lighting approach. Bathroom settings with large windows over a tub or skylight may not need as many layers of illumination to achieve the desired effect.
Click here to view Progress Lighting’s diverse selection of bath and vanity fixtures.
Outdoor lighting enhances the beauty of your property while providing safety and security. Outdoor lighting also allows you to take advantage of your outdoor spaces after dark and adds value to your home.
Here are some tips and techniques courtesy of the American Lighting Association on how to get your outdoor lighting right.
- Front entrance lighting: Greet and identify visitors with a well-lit entrance. Wall lanterns on either of the door gives your home a welcoming look, as well as added safety. If your home has an overhang, consider a recessed, chain-hung or close to ceiling fixture.
- Garage exterior lighting: For added safety and security, consider adding mounted fixtures on either side of the garage. If there are shadowed areas on the sides of your house, spotlights and ground lights provide beautiful accent lighting.
- Illuminate steps, paths and driveways: Make sure guests and family members can move in and out of your house easily and safely after dark. Path lights or post lanterns are functional lighting additions.
- Deck, porch and patio lighting: Consider adding low-voltage mini-light under steps, railing and benches to invite guests in to your outdoor space. A spotlight in the branches of a nearby tree can add a romantic touch, as well.
Explore Progress Lighting’s wide selection of outdoor lighting to efficiently, safely and beautifully illuminate your home’s exterior.
Source: American Lighting Association, Outdoor Lighting
Ceiling fans are energy efficient options that add comfort, style and light to almost any room of the home.
When choosing a ceiling fan, it’s not only important to consider selecting blades and finishes that match your interior style – but the right size (depending on the room size) is equally essential to maximize performance.
The American Lighting Association suggests the following guidelines:
Room Size Fan Size
Up to 75 sq. ft. 36 inches or smaller
75 to 144 sq. ft. 36 to 42 inches
144 to 225 sq. ft. 44 to 50 inches
225 to 400 sq. ft. 50 to 54 inches
Progress Lighting offers a variety of fan options that cater to your distinct style and help you meet your design goals. Browse fans by Progress Lighting.
Archie is one of Progress Lighting’s most loved collections. Its distinctive design makes it a focal point in kitchens, dining spaces, bathrooms and more.
Learn what makes the Archie collection a favorite among our customers and partners with this short video.
Key features include:
- Vintage industrial flair with finely crafted strap and knob details
- Double prismatic, crisscross pattern glass shades
- Hand-rubbed Venetian Bronze and Polished Chrome finishes, completing an authentic look
- Includes multiple chandelier styles, ceiling and bath fixtures
We are offering our Facebook fans a chance to win a set of fixtures that represent a popular 2014 lighting trend. We hope our #WinThatTrend giveaways will help educate our fans on the trends we are seeing in home design – with a chance to update your own home with fixtures from Progress Lighting.
TREND ALERT: This week, we are highlighting the trend of hanging pendants in groups of two or more. Pendants are fun, decorative additions that offer design versatility, as well as beneficial task lighting. Group pendants above work areas such as a kitchen island, stove or bathroom sink.
THE PRIZE: Three mini-pendants from our Verona collection.
HOW TO WIN: Comment on our #WinThatTrend Facebook post (shown below) and tell us where you would choose to group our Verona mini-pendants in your home.
1. No purchase necessary to enter or to win. A purchase will not increase your odds of winning. Subject to applicable federal, state, local and municipal laws and regulations. Void where prohibited.
2. Progress Lighting’s #WinThatTrend Sweepstakes (the “Sweepstakes”) is open to anyone who is 18 years or older at the time of entry and have chosen to “Like” Progress Lighting on Facebook. Employees of Progress Lighting (“Sponsor”), Facebook, and each of their respective affiliated companies, subsidiaries, advertising or promotional agencies, and other agents, and the immediate family members of, and any persons domiciled with such employees, are not eligible to enter or win.
3. Entry. The Sweepstakes begins at 10:00 a.m. (E.S.T.) on February 25, 2014 and will end at 11:59 p.m. (E.S.T.) on March 2, 2014 (the “Sweepstakes Period”).
Internet Entry: “Like” Progress Lighting on Facebook. Find the post that features the words “#WinThatTrend”. COMMENT on the post on Progress Lighting’s Facebook page sharing where you would group three Verona mini-pendants in your home by 11:59 p.m. (EST) on March 2, 2014. By entering, you agree to the terms of these Official Rules. Only one entry per person, per Sweepstakes from the Progress Lighting Facebook page.
Sponsor and Administrator will not be responsible for incomplete, lost, late, entries or for failure to receive entries due to transmission failures or technical failures of any kind, including, without limitation, malfunctioning of any telephone connection, network, hardware or software, whether originating with sender or Sponsor or Facebook. In the event of a dispute, all online entries will be deemed to have been submitted by the owner of the Facebook account from which they were sent. For theses purposes, an account holder shall mean the natural person assigned to such an account by Facebook. All entries become the property of Sponsor and none will be returned. Any questions regarding the number of entries submitted or the owner of an email account shall be determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion, and Sponsor reserves the right to disqualify any entries by persons determined to be tampering with or abusing any aspect of the Sweepstakes.
4. Prizes and Odds. On March 3, 2014, Progress Lighting will post a comment and “tag” the name of one participant with an eligible entry in the Sweepstakes. The winners will be asked to send a direct message to the Progress Lighting Facebook page. Once each winner is confirmed and shipping address is received, Progress Lighting will send three mini-pendants from the Verona collection. If the person submitting the entry does not meet the eligibility requirements, no prize will be awarded.
5. Winner Notification and Acceptance. Return of prize notification as undeliverable or failure of winner to respond to the message according to the instructions in the message may result in disqualification. To claim the prize, winner must provide a mailing address to where the prize may be sent. Winners may waive their right to receive prizes. Prizes are non-assignable and nontransferable. No substitutions allowed, except that prizes and individual components of prize packages are subject to availability and Sponsor reserves the right to substitute prizes of equal or greater value. Winners are solely responsible for reporting and payment of any taxes on prizes.
6. Participation. By participating, entrants agree to be bound by these Official Rules and the decisions of Sponsor. Sponsor reserves the right to disqualify persons found tampering with or otherwise abusing any aspect of this Sweepstakes as solely determined by Sponsor. In the event the Sweepstakes is compromised by a virus, non-authorized human intervention, tampering or other causes beyond the reasonable control of Sponsor which corrupts or impairs the administration, security, fairness or proper operation of the Sweepstakes, Sponsor reserves the right in its sole discretion to suspend, modify or terminate the Sweepstakes. Should the Sweepstakes be terminated prior to the stated expiration date, Sponsor reserves the right to award prizes based on the entries received before the termination date.
7. Limitations of Liability. By entering the Sweepstakes, entrant agrees that (1) any and all disputes, claims, and causes of action arising out of or in connection with the Sweepstakes, or any prizes awarded, shall be resolved individually without resort to any form of class action, and entrant waives his or her right to a jury trial for such disputes, claims, and causes of action; (2) any claims, judgments and awards shall be limited to actual out-of-pocket costs incurred, including costs associated with entering the Sweepstakes, but in no event attorneys’ fees; and (3) under no circumstances will any entrant be permitted to obtain any award for, and entrant hereby waives all rights to claim punitive, incidental or consequential damages and any and all rights to have damages multiplied or otherwise increased and any other damages, other than damages for actual out-of-pocket expenses.
8. Construction. All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Official Rules, or the rights and obligations of any contestant and Sponsor, shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with the laws of the State of South Carolina, without giving effect to any choice of law or conflict of law rules or provisions (whether of South Carolina, or any other jurisdiction) that would cause the application of the laws of any jurisdiction other than South Carolina. The invalidity or unenforceability of any provision of these rules shall not affect the validity or enforceability of any other provision. If any such provision is determined to be invalid or otherwise unenforceable, these rules shall be construed in accordance with their terms as if the valid or enforceable provision was not contained therein.
9. General Release. By entering the Sweepstakes, contestants release Progress Lighting and any other promotional sponsors, and each of their respective affiliated companies, directors, officers, employees, representatives, partners and agents from any liability whatsoever for any claims, costs, injuries, losses or damages of any kind arising out of or in connection with the Sweepstakes or with the acceptance, possession or use of any prize (including, without limitation, claims, costs, injuries, losses or damages related to personal injuries, death, damage to, loss or destruction of property, rights of publicity or privacy, defamation or portrayal in a false light).
10. Sponsor. Progress Lighting’s #WinThatTrend Sweepstakes is sponsored by Progress Lighting, whose decisions regarding the selection of winners and all other aspects of the Sweepstakes shall be final and binding in all respects. Sponsor will not be responsible for typographical, printing or other inadvertent errors in these Official Rules or in other materials relating to the Sweepstakes. If you have any questions regarding this Sweepstakes, please contact Carolyn Canington at 864.672.4995.
Rough Luxe design is a popular trend that celebrates aesthetics with raw imperfections, unfinished looks and combines this with rustic, industrial undertones. The trend can translate into luxurious design through a variety of products and avenues within the home – from wall treatments to contrasting materials to, of course, lighting.
Here are some ways to incorporate this modern home trend that embraces an industrial influence.
1. Bring outside materials…inside
Better Homes and Gardens recently shared an article on beautiful ways to use brick inside the home. A tried-and-true material, brick brings texture, character, and color to any space and embodies raw beauty.
2. Light up with lanterns
As shown in the image above, lanterns are bold additions that display a rustic design. Progress Lighting offers a variety of lantern collections – such as Piedmont, Crestwood and Bay Court – that support this trend.
3. Add interest by introducing new materials
Consider adding accent textures to a room setting with pillows, upholstering or rugs. Introduce new textures like burlap to add depth and visual interest to your rough luxe design.
4. Add industrial-inspired lighting to work spaces
Consider adding lighting that is finished in contemporary metals like Brushed Nickel and Oil Rubbed Bronze, and feature raw details like knobs and fresnel glass. Progress Lighting’s Fresnel, Archie and Brookside collections include pendants ideal for grouping above work areas in kitchen and bath settings.
5. Explore decor with upcycled materials
Upcycling is not only a sustainable design method, but it also adds character and interest to interior settings. There is something nostalgic and enchanting about repurposing old materials into new and beautiful items. This rusted windmill featured on Canadian House & Home was turned into a unique wall hanging, making for an intriguing, eye-catching design
What are some ways you choose to embrace rough luxe design in the home?
In 2014, consumers are expected to gravitate towards new methods of self expression in the home, showers over tubs and multi-generational living. Explore what’s trending – and learn how these trends affect lighting design.
1. Self expression: Through bold colors and ornamentation, homeowners are predicted to openly express their unique personalities with home accessories, jeweled colors, layered textiles and more.
Pendants are a great way to cater to every homeowner’s specific design styles and tastes. Progress Lighting offers pendants in a variety of shapes, styles and finishes.
2. Showers over tubs: Homeowners are looking to enhance the shower experience by forgoing tubs in newer homes. Curb-less showers are an increasingly popular feature.
Progress Lighting’s LED recessed downlights are water compatible and ideal for shower settings.
3. Classic, modern looks: The industrial modern trend of 2013 will shift to more classic, modern decor. Products with a relaxed feel, rounded designs and raw metal finishes are predicted to be popular among homeowners.
Progress Lighting has responded to this trend with new collections that feature both traditional and contemporary elements.
4. Multi-generational living: Homes with multi-generational features that can accommodate aging parents or boomerang children are important to homebuyers.
Progress Lighting offers lighting ideal for aging-in-place design, including LED options that are gentle on aging eyes and lower energy and maintenance costs.
Trends predicted by Neil Kelly Company – an award-winning design-build remodeling firm featured in the January issue of enLIGHTenment Magazine. Article source: Top 10 Interior Design and Remodeling Trends for 2014.