With both functional and aesthetic benefits, pendant lighting is an easy way to beautifully illuminate your kitchen setting. Available in a plethora of shapes, sizes and styles, this versatile fixture offers endless design options and provides all-purpose illumination, task lighting and accent lighting.
Pendant Lighting Does It All
- All-purpose illumination: Space pendants throughout the room for overall lighting. The larger the area, the bigger the pendant light should be.
- Task lighting: Focus pendant lights on a specific work area, such as over a sink or desk area. One small pendant may be sufficient for certain task applications.
- Accent lighting: Highlight specific areas of your kitchen to create interest and depth to your design.
Hanging a Kitchen Pendant Light
- Pendant lights should hang 12-20 inches below an 8-foot ceiling. For each additional foot of ceiling height, add 3 inches.
- Pendant height can also be measure up from the surface below the light/ Provide a 30-36 inches clearance above tables and countertop, especially those used for task lighting.
Pendant Lighting Reflects Your Unique Style
Select a pendant style that reflects your decor. Modern pendants made of glass exude sleekness, while glass orbs present a retro look. Choose a style that matches your kitchen decor and meets your lighting needs.
Source: Better Homes and Gardens, http://www.bhg.com/kitchen/lighting/kitchen-pendant-lighting-tips/