According to a recent article in Builder Magazine, downsizing your home later in life is a transition that is better done sooner than later. Tom Lauricella reported this week in The Wall Street Journal’s Sunday edition that the advantages in moving early can be significant. Some of these include:
- Budgets. “In a larger home, expenses are hidden.”
- Nest eggs. “A move to a less-expensive home could be a boon to your retirement savings.”
- Family stress. “If one member of an older couple develops a serious illness, or dies suddenly, younger family members frequently find themselves caring for the original family home… that can place strains on all concerned.”
Whether its a full downsize – or even a remodeling upgrade, as we age, our bodies and health change in ways that require alteration to the home. Home lighting can have a profound effect on quality of life, as well.
Progress Lighting offers efficient, functional and decorative families that meet the unique needs of aging inhabitants. Some of these products include:
- LED Products. Increases in efficacy (lumens per watt) and warm white color consistency are gentle on aging eyes while a long lifetime means less bulb changes over the years.
- CFL and Incandescent Sources. New efficient incandescent sources and CFLS are also viable alternatives for aging-in-place design.
- Outdoor Products. Outdoor lighting options add safety and security illumination to a home’s exterior, reducing trips and falls after dark.
Source: Builder Magazine, Plan to Downsize Your Home? Don’t Wait, http://blogs.marketwatch.com/encore/2014/01/27/planning-to-downsize-your-home-dont-wait/